Origins of Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH) can be traced back in 1910 to 1920s when it was known as Sewahaji Hospital and in 1956 its name changed to as Princess Margareth Hospital. Soon after independence 1961 it was named Muhimbili Hospital to 1976 when its name was changed to Muhimbili Medical Centre.
Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH) was established by the MNH ACT No. 5 of 2000 by separation of the then Muhimbili Medical Centre (MMC) into Muhimbili National Hospital and the Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences (MUCHS), now Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS). Separation was effected in November 2004.
MNH is National Referral Hospital and University Teaching Hospital with 900 bed facility, attending 1,000 to 1,200 outpatients per day, admitting 1,000 to 1,200 inpatients per day.